Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Missionary Baptist Church Dothan, Alabama



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 370 Chickasaw Street, Dothan, Alabama
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 13.9055    W 085° 23.825
  31.23175833    -85.39708333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVHV4
 



Text:

First Missionary
Baptist Church,

Dothan, Alabama


(Side 1)
In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated its successor, the First Colored Baptist Church. In 1912, under pastor Dr. Thomas Bellinger of Pensacola, the church purchased land from the Saxon family, erected its original building, and renamed itself the First Missionary Baptist Church. The pastorate of Reverend C. C. Clency began in 1926 but ended in a schism that resulted in creating the North Highland Baptist Church.


(Side 2)
In 1940, the City of Dothan auctioned the Church property for unpaid gutter and curb assessments. The Church later regained ownership of its property and constructed its 1962 education building during the pastorate of Reverend Howard Creecy, Sr., of New Orleans. Reverend Rochester Johnson served from 1972 to 1992 and oversaw construction of a fellowship hall. The Church buried a centennial capsule near the hall s entrance in 1989. The parsonage, parking lot, education wing, and fellowship wing complete the Church s physical plant. First Missionary Baptist Church was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2001, while Reverend B. K. Marshall was pastor.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Missionary Baptist Church, 2004.

Erected by the
Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the
First Missionary Baptist Church
2004



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 31, 2005




End of First Missionary Baptist Church Dothan, Alabama