Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gordon Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Gordon Baptist Church, Leslie Street, Gordon, Alabama
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 8.716    W 085° 5.861
  31.14528333    -85.09761666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKMHJ
 



Text:

Side 1
Baptists of Gordon first erected a brush arbor church, Hope Arbor, circa 1819. On May 16, 1867 James Pynes gave one acre and timber to build a church in the town center. Pynes, William Wood and John T. Davis, Building Committee, signed the contract; 41 members pledged amounts from $5 to $500. Completed in 1868, it had a high portico with white columns and along flight of steps across the width of the portico. A square steeple with belfry topped the roof. Inside were wooden benches and a rear balcony. This wooden building later burned.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Gordon Baptist Church and Dothan Landmarks Foundation, 2004.


Side 2
In 1907 plans were laid for the present brick church. Building Committee members were Sam Bowdon, E. L. Marbury, W. E. McEachern, J. B. Martin and T. D. McEachern. Solicitation Committee members included Marbury, Dr. C. E. Granberry, J. W. Britt, T. D. McEachern, and C. P. Bowdon. Committee to Secure a Lot Members were Dr. Granberry, W. E. McEachern, and Judge George Leslie. Although a struggle to finance and complete at a time of major economic downturn, minutes reflect E. L. Marbury was instructed June 12, 1910 to finish the building on his estimate of $400 for additional costs. Sam Bowdon gave a Tiffany-style stained glass window.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Gordon Baptist Church and Dothan Landmarks Foundation, 2004.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: May 16, 2004




End of Gordon Baptist Church