Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gordon Cemetery / Early Gordon Leaders



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: On State Route 95, north of Gordon, Alabama
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 9.231    W 085° 6.072
  31.15385    -85.1012
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKMHM
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Mr. William Wood (b. 22 Mar. 1826, d. 15 Oct. 1885), a prominent Gordon businessman, donated one acre of land located north of the town center adjacent to the old river road, now U.S. Highway 95, from his large plantation estate to the Town of Gordon for the purpose of establishing a permanent cemetery for the town. In 1859 Mr. Wood was elected to the Alabama State Senate, serving four years. He was also an active Mason and served as mayor of Gordon. A prosperous merchant, he established two riverboat landings at Gordon, known as the Upper and Middle landings.


Side 2:
Below are some of the prominent early Gordon citizens buried in this cemetery. Mr. Arthur J. Bowdon, b. 1809
 Mr. William Wood, b. 1826
 Mr. Samuel Bowdon, b. 1835
 Mr. Samuel J. Hall, b. 1837
 Mr. McKelvey C. Marsh, b. 1848
 Mr. Ben F. Snead, b. 1851
 Mr. William G. Roundtree, Jr., b. 1852
 Dr. T. R. McLendon, b. 1854
 Mr. John R. Espy, b. 1856
 Mr. E. F. Tuttle, b. 1858

Erected by Descendants of the above Gordon Families
The Dothan Landmarks Foundation
And the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
2000





Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 2000




End of Gordon Cemetery / Early Gordon Leaders