Historic Markers Across Alabama



Houston County



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the intersection of North Oates Street (Business U.S. 231) and West Main Street (Business U.S. 84), Dothan, Alabama
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 13.436    W 085° 23.601
  31.22393333    -85.39335
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAVJF
 



Text:

After much politicking, on February 9, 1903, delegates from this area, T. M. Espy, Byrd Farmer, and George H. Malone, were successful in getting a bill passed in the State Legislature to form a new county from parts of Henry, Dale and Geneva counties. The new county was named Houston after former Governor George S. Houston. On March 16, 1903 an election was held to choose a new county seat and Dothan won. In 1905 the Houston County courthouse was dedicated on this corner. In 1960 the first building was torn down and a new one was constructed. The new building opened in April, 1962.

The 1962 building was renovated in 2002.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Houston County Commission, Houston County Centennial Committee, 2003




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: December 12, 2003




End of Houston County