Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mallalieu Seminary



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 725 Broad Street, Dothan, AL
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 17.959    W 085° 20.706
  31.29931666    -85.3451
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKMHG
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Organized in 1882 at nearby Rocky Creek Methodist Church for educational purposes. This school, which occupied approximately seven acres surrounding this marker, was supported by the Methodist Episcopal Church North. This school was first known as Forest Home Seminary and later named after Bishop Willard Francis Mallalieu. It was burned on 1885 by unknown sources, but was quickly rebuilt.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Town of Kinsey, Houston County Commission and Dothan Landmarks Foundation, 1993.

SIDE 2:
One of the few institutions of higher learning in Southeast Alabama, the Mallalieu Seminary taught grades one through twelve and offered courses such as Greek, Algebra, Latin, History, Chemistry, Music, Geology and the New and Old Testament. The Mallalieu Seminary permanently closed October 31, 1923 when the Methodist Episcopal Church North could no longer financially support the school.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Town of Kinsey, Houston County Commission and Dothan Landmarks Foundation, 1993.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: November 16, 1993




End of Mallalieu Seminary