Historic Markers Across Alabama



Poplar Head Spring



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located at Poplar Head Park, Dothan, Alabama.
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 31° 13.411    W 085° 23.379
  31.22351666    -85.38965
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAVK3
 



Text:

Located near this market is the Poplar Head Spring which served as a meeting place for Indian traders prior to the arrival of the white and black settlers. The Alibamu Indians of the Chattahoochee River basin met the Creeks of the Choctawhatchee River basin at the springs frequently to trade. The first whites and blacks arrived in the early 1830's. Of these the lumber and turpentine operators came first. They were followed by William Cawthon, a cattle king from Georgia. By 1858, the community now called Poplar Head had nine families. However, the turmoil of the War Between the States and Reconstruction resulted in virtual abandonment of the community. In 1881, only 3 families lived at Poplar Head Spring. However, by 1885, enough families had settled in Poplar Head to meet the minimum size needed to incorporate. Through a special election on November 10, 1885, Poplar Head community became Dothan, a city to be.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: May 2, 1982




End of Poplar Head Spring