Historic Markers Across Alabama



Scottsboro Railroad Depot



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: On Maple Avenue near N Houston Street, Scottsboro, Alabama
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 40.506    W 086° 2.214
  34.6751    -86.0369
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTH18
 



Text:

Scottsboro Railroad Depot



The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies to the south. On January 8, 1865, the Depot was the site of an intense battle between 101st U.S. Colored Infantry and the 110th U.S. Colored Infantry, who held the Depot, and Confederate soldiers led by Brigadier-General H. B. Lyon. The out-numbered Union soldiers defended the station until Confederate artillery fire drove them from the building. In 1870, newly incorporated Scottsboro designated the Depot as the center point of town when laying out the city limits. With the completion of a new building in 1891, the Depot stopped handling passenger traffic. The Depot remained important in the economic and social activity of the city until the 1960's. The Depot is one of only three remaining pre-Civil War railroad depots in the State of Alabama.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998


Date Dedicated / Placed: 1998







End of Scottsboro Railroad Depot