Historic Markers Across Alabama



Decatur County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Lee Highway/John T. Reid Parkway (State Highway 2/72) and County Road 7, Woodville, Alabama
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 36.436    W 086° 15.991
  34.60726666    -86.26651666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Decatur County
1821-1825


Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-‘24 completed survey revealed that it did not contain the constitutionally required number of square miles. The county was abolished by an Act of the Legislature on December 28, 1825, and the territory was returned to Madison and Jackson Counties.

Erected by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Decatur County