Historic Markers Across Alabama



History of Langston



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Langston Rd west of Godwin Point Rd, Langston, AL
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 32.266    W 086° 04.585
  34.53776666    -86.07641666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJCXV
 



Text:

The small village of Coffeetown, located to the southeast of what is now Langston, was established in the 1810s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of its residents moved to Texas. It was then that James Morgan sold fifteen acres in town lots and the town of Langston was born. The town was named after Langston Coffee, the first postmaster. When river transportation thrived in the 1800s and early 1900s, Langston prospered. Langston once had five physicians, a livery stable, stores, jail, school, Masonic lodge, Movie Theater, churches, post office, blacksmith shop, grist mill, and a steam operated cotton gin. The TVA project which built the Guntersville Dam in 1938 flooded this once prosperous town. It forced those who lived within the TVA boundaries to move. This left the skeleton of what was once a thriving town.







End of History of Langston