Historic Markers Across Alabama



Jefferson County Courthouses



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the Jefferson County courthouse at 716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North, Birmingham AL.
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.26    W 086° 48.558
  33.521    -86.8093
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818. After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat established at Elyton, 1820. County seat moved to Birmingham, 1873. Two story brick Courthouse completed 1875 on NE corner 3rd Ave. and 21st St., North. Replaced 1887 by elaborate three story structure which served county until 1931. Separate Bessemer Division of Circuit Court established 1915. Bessemer Courthouse completed 1920.


Side 2:
Present Courthouse completed 1931. Designed by Holabird and Root of Chicago. Constructed of reinforced concrete faced with granite and limestone. North Annex built 1964. Sculptured reliefs on west face depicting history of Jefferson County by Leo Friedlander. Murals in west foyer representing "Old South" and "New South" by John Norton. Bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson by Birmingham artist Georges Bridges.

Erected 1982 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Jefferson County Courthouses