Historic Markers Across Alabama



Jefferson County Courthouse Site



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North north of 3rd Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.038    W 086° 48.342
  33.5173    -86.8057
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
The county seat of Jefferson County was moved from Elyton to Birmingham in 1873. On this site stood the first Courthouse in the City of Birmingham. The Italianate style structure was designed by architect W. K. Ball. Completed in 1875, the two-story red brick building cost $30,500. In 1887 it was condemned as unsafe, and a new Courthouse was planned.

Side 2:
In 1889 a second Jefferson County Courthouse was constructed on this site. Charles Wheelock and Sons of Birmingham and H. Wolters of Louisville were the architects. Charles Pearce of Indianapolis was contractor. Constructed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the four-story brick building had a central clock tower rising 180 feet. Total cost was $3000,000. This Courthouse served Jefferson County until 1931 when a new Courthouse was built several blocks to the north. The structure was razed in 1937.

Erected 1991 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Jefferson County Courthouse Site