Historic Markers Across Alabama



Jordan Home



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 2834 Highland Avenue South, Birmingham AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.372    W 086° 46.97
  33.5062    -86.78283333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD142
 



Text:

Jordan Home
2834 Highland Avenue


Dr. Mortimer Harvie Jordan and his wife, Florence E. Mudd, constructed their home between 1906 and 1908. After service in the Confederate army, Jordan studied medicine in Cincinnati and New York (under Alabama's famous gynecologist, Dr. J. Marion Sims). As a doctor in Jefferson County, he is especially remembered for his tireless work in the 1873 cholera epidemic. He served on the State Board of Health (1879-83), as president of the State Medical Association (1884), and as chair of materia medica and therapeutics and clinical medicine in the Medical College of Alabama at Mobile (1886 for two terms). Jordan authored numerous publications on surgery, epidemiology, and gynecology and read many papers on these subjects before medical associations. Florence Mudd Jordan was the daughter of Judge William S. Mudd, builder of Arlington plantation.

The Jordan home was sold in 1928 and was restored to its original condition in 1969. A fine example of neo-classic architecture, the house features a wide portico with four Ionic columns and elaborate dentil work on the pediment.

Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Jordan Home