Historic Markers Across Alabama



School of Medicine



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of 7th Avenue South and 19th Street., Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.312    W 086° 48.077
  33.5052    -86.80128333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the Medical Department and in 1907 the School of Medicine of the University of Alabama. The Mobile School was closed and moved to Tuscaloosa in 1920 as a two year basic medical science program, which was offered through 1941

Side 2:
The Medical College of Alabama opened in Birmingham with a four-year program in 1945 and became the School of Medicine in 1969. The Medical Center gradually emerged as other schools were established: Dentistry 1948, Nursing 196. Optometry and Community and Allied Health 1969, and Public Health 1981. The Medical Center and the University College, which evolved out of the University of Alabama Extension Center established in 1935, formed the nucleus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1966

Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of School of Medicine