Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tannehill Ironworks



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Jefferson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tannehill Ironworks
(1829-1865)


Established 1829 with forge built on Roupes Creek (one mile south) by Daniel Hillman. First blast furnace built on site in 1850's by Moses Stroup. Two other furnaces erected in 1863 by William Sanders to provide iron for Confederate Arsenal at Selma. The only three-furnace ironworks in Alabama during Civil War, Tannehill was one of the largest producers of iron in Confederacy. Ceased operations after being partially destroyed by Federal troops March 31, 1865. Named for one of former owners, Ninion Tannehill. Also known as Roupes Valley Ironworks and Sanders Ironworks.







End of Tannehill Ironworks