Historic Markers Across Alabama



United States Pipe and Foundry Company



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Mounted to the wall of a building on 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11) at 34th Ave., Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.42    W 086° 47.236
  33.52366666    -86.78726666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMD1N8
 



Text:

On March 3, 1899, the United States Pipe and Foundry Company was incorporated consolidating 14 iron and steel foundries in 9 states. One of these foundries, the Howard-Harrison Iron Company of Bessemer, was founded in 1889. In 1911, the Dimmick Pipe Company, located in North Birmingham, became part of the company. U.S. Pipe led the industry with its introduction of the deLavaud centrifugal casting technology in 1921. The process revolutionized the U.S. pipe-making industry and remained the standard production technology over 75 years later. In 1952, U.S. Pipe merged with Sloss-Sheffield Steel and Iron Company, founded in 1881, then relocated to this site in 1953. A subsidiary of Walter Industries of Tampa, Florida, U.S. Pipe remains an industry leader as the largest producer of Ductile Iron Pipe in the United States.

Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of United States Pipe and Foundry Company