Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wilson's Raiders



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 331 Cotton Avenue SW, Birmingham AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.06    W 086° 50.292
  33.501    -86.8382
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME4V1
 



Text:

Wilson's Raiders
Headquarters March 28-31, 1865


Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, having crossed the Tennessee River with a large force of well equipped cavalry, grouped them here at Elyton. Their mission: to destroy Alabama's economic facilities for supporting the War.

From these headquarters he sent;
(a) cavalry unit to burn the military school, foundries and bridges at Tuscaloosa.
(b) soldiers to destroy mines and furnaces in Jefferson, Bibb and Shelby Counties.
(c) cavalry to dash south to destroy railroads and factories at Selma.

Erected 1960 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Wilson's Raiders