Historic Markers Across Alabama



Center Point, Alabama: A Great New City Springs Forth



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Center Point Pkwy (State Highway 75), Center Point, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 38.554    W 086° 41.028
  33.64256666    -86.6838
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8XKN
 



Text:

Center Point, Alabama
A Great New City Springs Forth


Side 1:
In 1700s, Native Americans occupied the Springs property. Robert Reed's family arrived in the area from North Carolina in 1816. They obtained a land grant; soon others moved to the area. In 1871, Dave Franklin built a log cabin in the area which was named Center Point.
In the 1900s, Center Point boasted a one-room school, blacksmith, shop, grocery store, post office, a Baptist and Methodist church.
Andy Beard invented the coupling mechanism for railroad cars and sold it for $10,000. In 1924, Center Point Elementary rock school was constructed. In 1947, Cullen Scott discovered water to supply Center Point. Recognizing the potential for community growth, Paul Snow initiated development of Sun Valley subdivision and Erwin Elementary and High School. In 1967, Center Point became the largest unincorporated area in the U.S., boasting a population of 64,000, thriving businesses, recreational facilities, beautiful homes and churches.
Side 2:
In 1999, Jefferson County Commissioner Bettye Fine Collins called a meeting to discuss the Center Point Community. Center Point Action Committee formed to clean up the community. Betty Cannon was the first chairperson. The next chairperson, Wink Chapman, formed a committee to study the possibility of incorporation. Petitions were gathered for 1 1/2 years. Legislative efforts were spearheaded by Arthur Payne. Citizens (84%) voted for incorporation March 12, 2002.
April 23, 2002 marked the election of the first mayor and council, which included: Mayor Tom Henderson, Council President Billie Davis and council members George Franklin, Roger Barlow, Jesse Miller, and Ken McIntyre.
The First City Hall was renovated at 19 20th Ct. NW; space was donated by Ronnie Roddam. Historic Center Point Elementary School was leased for a City Hall and renovated by volunteers under George Franklin. Significant accomplishments in Center Point include the acquisition of 17-acre Reed-Harvey Park, Center Point ballpark, and the Scott home for a library; the completion of Center Point Senior Center and membership in Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership.

Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department, The City of Center Point.








End of Center Point, Alabama: A Great New City Springs Forth