Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Lipscomb, Alabama Centennial Celebration



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Lipscomb, AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
S.W. Lipscomb, with his two brothers L.Y. and H.P., all from Epps, Alabama, settled here in 1885. L.Y. Lipscomb ran a general store on the old South Bessemer car line, which opened the 15 miles between Birmingham and Bessemer in 1890. This stop became known as Lipscomb Station. When the community of Wheeling incorporated on June 30, 1910 it was named Lipscomb for L.Y. Lipscomb. The Community’s many white frame dwellings with wide verandahs, set under stately groves of trees, testify to the prosperity of a small town that boomed in 1910s next to, but separated from the mines and mills.

August 10, 1910- August 10, 2010
Happy 100th Birthday


Side 2:
Wheeling was located at the intersection of Woodward’s spur track with the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, which connected Woodward’s ore mines and blast furnaces. The town was called Wheeling for West Virginia’s late 19th century rolling mill district, where the Woodward family owned ironworks and a nail plant. Residents, supplied with water from a big spring, framed or worked in brickyards, furnaces or businesses in Bessemer or in the Woodward mines. Wheeling was incorporated into Lipscomb in the 1940’s.

Situated on the southern branch of the Huntsville Road , the site of Wheeling was settled in the 1830’s. Vincent Loveless, son of pioneer settler John Loveless, who built the original portion of the William Sadler house, bought land from the Sadlers and, in 1832, established his farm in the area. In June 1834, Union Baptist Church organized in a log structure on the site of the present church Woodward Iron Company later gave land for a cemetery and for many years furnished water and heat for church buildings.








End of City of Lipscomb, Alabama Centennial Celebration