Historic Markers Across Alabama



Downtown Graysville



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on South Main Street south of 2nd Avenue SE, Graysville, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 37.644    W 086° 58.403
  33.6274    -86.97338333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME5XF
 



Text:

Side 1:
In the latter 1800s and early 1900s, the city of Graysville was called Gin Town. Because Graysville had the only cotton gin for miles around, the town and community grew. As the community grew, the need for businesses and houses of worship grew as well. One street over from this site, the Union Church was established in the early 1900s. All people of all denominations met and worshipped there as it was the only church for miles around. The City of Graysville was incorporated November 27, 1945. The first meeting of the town council took place at the old school house on January 16, 1946. Later that year, the original city council established the Graysville Water Works system. In 1949, the city council established the Graysville Gas Board which eventually became the Graysville Municipal Gas System.


Side 2:
During the 1950s and 1960s, the local coal mines and steel mills attracted families from all over Alabama. As a result of this growth, Graysville established the city's first series of home developments and subdivisions. During the 1980s and 1990s, Graysville expanded its city limits by annexing multiple acres in what was then unincorporated Jefferson County. With the opening of Interstate 22 and additional commercial growth Graysville ushered in a new era of excellence and progress. The City of Graysville therefore dedicates this historical marker to its citizens, past, present and future, by order of Mayor Doug Brewer and the City Council of the City of Graysville.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Graysville.







End of Downtown Graysville