Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tarrant City Hall



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: city hall on Pinson Valley Parkway, Tarrant, AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 35.067    W 086° 46.395
  33.58445    -86.77325
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDBWE
 



Text:

TARRANT CITY HALL


Originally the Main Office for National Cast Iron Pipe Company

A Pipe Foundry Established in 1912 by the following founders, A.H. Ford, F.M. Jackson ,E. E. Linthicum, Charles Green and Charles Day. Originally the main office was located approximately 100 yards west of this building. The company prospered from the beginning and in a short time employed several hundred employees. The company's growth mandated the need for a new and larger facility. In 1928 construction began on this building which was to house the General Manager, Accounting, Sales and Engineering. In l938, James B. Clow and Sons, a Chicago based company that also manufactured cast iron pipe and fittings for the water works industry bought National Cast Iron Pipe Company and the local company became known as James B. Clow and Sons, National Division. In 1961 the Board of Directors elected to change the corporate name to Clow Corporation but this plant was still known as Clow Corporation, National Division.
.

Side 2:
In 1965 the single story Engineering Annex was added and provide offices for the General Manager and Secretary and the entire Engineering group. In 1984 Clow Corporation was bought in its entirety by McWane Cast Iron Pipe Company, a local competitor. The manufacturing facilities were demolished, leaving only the main office, the chemistry lab, machine shop, gatehouse and employee bathhouse. These five buildings and the 68 acre plant site was then sold to the City of Tarrant for a token amount. The city adapted the main office for its City Hall, Council Chambers and Municipal Court. The gatehouse and employee's bathhouse were demolished to make room for the Public Safety Building and the

machine shop was sold and converted to a privately owned truck dealership. The balance of 68 acres of land was subdivided and infrastructure installed to facilitate the industrial park we have today.

Having been so instrumental in the development of the community it is particularly meaningful for this building to continue to serve the community as its City Hall.








End of Tarrant City Hall