Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Sylvan Springs "Growing Into The Future"



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Sylvan Springs
County: Jefferson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
The first official meeting of the Town of Sylvan Springs, incorporated on May 22, 1957, was held on July 13, 1957. The Town Hall was temporarily located in Harmon's Service Station. The following were classified Alderman:

Oscar Hogan, Alderman 1
James A. Jones, Alderman 2
John Honeycutt, Alderman 3
Aubry Early, Alderman 4
William T. Parkin, Alderman 5
Ollis Hatcher, Mayor

Through the vision of these citizens and the many that have followed, The Town of Sylvan Springs continues to " Grow into the Future"



Side 2:
Incorporated May 22, 1957
1957 Fire Department Established
1961 Town Hall Property Purchased
1962 Town Hall Constructed
1975 Sylvan Springs School Purchased from Jefferson County Board of Education
Sylvan Springs School became the Community Center
1986 West Grove Community Annexed
1989 Paramedic Service Established
1990 Ribbon Cutting for Walking Track
Fire Station Relocated to Highway 269
2000-2005 Property Surrounding the Community Center Purchased for Future Growth
2006 Playground and Pavilion Constructed at Walking Track
2007 Sylvan Springs Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration
2008 Federal Grant Received to Remodel Senior /Community Center
Senior/Community Center Remodeled







End of Town of Sylvan Springs "Growing Into The Future"