Historic Markers Across Alabama



Trussville, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: at the intersection of Parkway Drive and Lake Street, Trussville, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 37.617    W 086° 36.3
  33.62695    -86.605
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAF17
 



Text:

Trussville was settled between 1816 and 1819 by a few settlers from the Carolinas prior to Alabama becoming the 22nd state in December 1819. The First Baptist Church, Cahaba, was organized in 1821. Trussville’s first postmaster in 1833 was Arthur Truss. The railroad line between Chattanooga and Mississippi through Trussville was completed in 1871. Birmingham Furnace and Manufacturing Company, which operated in Trussville on and off from 1889 until the close of World War 1, became Trussville’s first large industry. Under Roosevelt’s New Deal, the Cahaba Homestead Village “Project,” with 287 new housing units for rent, was completed in 1938, resulting in a population explosion of young families. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Horace Norrell was elected first mayor following the incorporation of the Town of Trussville in 1947.

Erected by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Trussville.







End of Trussville, Alabama