Historic Markers Across Alabama



Clark Building



Marker ID:  
Location: on 20th Street North, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.053    W 086° 48.478
  33.51755    -86.80796666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little Theater.

The Clark Building housed multiple businesses until 1986, when it became vacant. In 1996, plans had been made to demolish the building when John Lauriello of Southpace Properties and Bob Moody of Moody & Associates recognized its potential for historic rehabilitation. Through their efforts and those of Operation New Birmingham, the building was saved when the property was purchased by partners of Lightfoot, Franklin & White in 1997. Restoration of the building was completed in 1998 by Charles & Vinzant Construction Company.







End of Clark Building