Historic Markers Across Alabama



Concord Center - Time Capsule



Marker ID:  
Location: on 3rd Avenue North near Richard Arrington Jr, Blvd North, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.032    W 086° 48.336
  33.5172    -86.8056
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Concord Center
Time Capsule


To Be Opened March 1, 2022
Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002
Project Team
Owners - BLH Group, LLC
Brookmont Investors II, LLC
Spire Holdings, LLC
Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC
General Contractor - B.L. Harbert International, LLC
Architect - Williams-Blackstock Architects, P.C.


Concord Center stands on the site of Birmingham's first County Courthouse, constructed in 1875. The growth of a bustling town demanded the construction of a new Jefferson County Courthouse by 1888. Built on the same site, this second courthouse was Birmingham's first high-rise building, and the largest and most architecturally distinctive building constructed in the city for many years. The courthouse was designed in the Richardsonian - Romanesque style, featuring two square towers capped with pyramidal roofs that framed a central clock tower, as pictured in the historical photograph.

The courthouse was razed in 1937 to encourage redevelopment, and the site remained a parking lot until the groundbreaking of Concord Center in June 2000. The distinctive architectural design of Concord Center, reminiscent of the historic courthouse, restores this historical site as a major landmark in the City. Concord Center was made possible through the concordance of the City of Birmingham, the YMCA, the building owners, and the developer.

Erected 2002 by BLH Group, LLC.







End of Concord Center - Time Capsule