Historic Markers Across Alabama



Independent Presbyterian



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Highland Avenue South and 31st Street South, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.48    W 086° 46.776
  33.508    -86.7796
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD19Z
 



Text:

The church was founded when the Rev. Henry M. Edmonds and many members of a Southern Presbyterian congregation withdrew from the local Presbytery. During the first seven years it met in Temple Emanu-El synagogue and held evening services in the Lyric Theater downtown. In 1922, Independent Presbyterian joined what is now the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA). The congregation has focused on the use of beauty in every form as well as community service, which led to the establishment of the Children’s Fresh Air Farm camp and Kirkwood - by - the - River retirement community. The church initiated the first programs in Alabama in public health, child welfare and legal aid. The sanctuary, completed in 1926, has stained glass windows by D' Ascenzo Studios and an organ by E. M. Skinner Co. Large sections of the church burned in 1992; reconstruction and additions were completed in 1995.

Erected by Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society.







End of Independent Presbyterian