Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lane Park



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Cahaba Road and Park Lane, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 29.394    W 086° 46.632
  33.4899    -86.7772
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCPH3
 



Text:

In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with 4,767 burials. The name changed to Red Mountain Cemetery, then to Red Mountain Park and finally to Lane Park in honor of Birmingham Mayor A.O. Lane. The land was also used for the Allen Gray Fish Hatchery ( fed by Pullen Springs), a stone quarry , a complete baseball diamond, and a golf driving range. Several of the stone structures were erected by the WPA. Two hundred acres are now the home of the Birmingham Zoo (est. 1954) and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (est. 1962).

2000 by Birmingham-Jefferson/Historical Society, Birmingham Zoo, Birmingham Botanical Gardens
And descendants of William Pullen.








End of Lane Park