Historic Markers Across Alabama



Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Morris Avenue, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.834    W 086° 48.312
  33.5139    -86.8052
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Morris Avenue Historic District


Created 1972 by the Jefferson County Historical Commission, the district is based on this avenue. Morris Avenue was named for one of the founders of Birmingham, Josiah Morris, who paid $100,000 for 4,157 acres of the original site of the city in 1870. At the suggestion of Mr. Morris the city was named for England's industrial district. This avenue was the principal wholesale trade district of the city and enjoyed it's greatest popularity from 1880 to 1900. Some of the city's most prominent families owned business firms here.

This Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Elyton Land Company
(Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.)c

Birmingham was founded in 1871 by the Elyton Land Company whose offices were located on Morris Avenue and Twentieth Street.

The company was composed principally of Montgomery citizens, James R. Powell was the first president and Captain William P. Barker was chief engineer and surveyor. Due to his foresight Birmingham was designed with broad streets and avenues. Dr. Henry M. Caldwell was the second president of the company and Willis J. Milner was Secretary.

Elyton Land Company office also housed the water works and Highland Avenue Belt Railroad offices.

Erected 1974 by Jefferson County Historical Commission.







End of Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company