Historic Markers Across Alabama

Roebuck Spring

Marker ID:  
Location: on Roebuck Boulevard, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 34.998    W 086° 42.618
  33.5833    -86.7103
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCPHE


In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located adjacent to the spring, and the spring water was used for the school until city water became available. In 1910 George Miller, a leading landscape architect and industrial town planner, developed the first planned golf course and club house close to the spring. Known as Roebuck Country Club, the name was changed in 1914 to the Roebuck Golf and Automobile Club, and the fame of the prestigious club was well known. Today the water from Roebuck Spring is an original source of water for man-made East Lake and for Village Creek, which flows across Birmingham into Black Warrior River.

Erected 1988 by Roebuck Neighborhood Association, City of Birmingham.

End of Roebuck Spring