Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Vincent's Hospital



Marker ID:  
Location: in the median on St. Vincents Drive, at the intersection of St. Vincents Drive and University Blvd South, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.572    W 086° 47.314
  33.50953333    -86.78856666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVDDF
 



Text:

St. Vincent’s Hospital
Birmingham’s Oldest Hospital


Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the hospital together with Sisters Antonia, Benedicta, Patricia and Placida. Filling Birmingham’s desperate need for a hospital, the magnificent original building was dedicated on this site on November 29, 1900 at a cost of $223,000. The State’s first School of Nursing was founded here by Sister Chrysostom Moynahan, Alabama’s first Registered Nurse. The current facility was dedicated May 25, 1974. On December 5, 1997 the Women’s and Children’s Center and Bruno Conference Center were added.

Erected in 1999 by
Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society / St. Vincent’s Hospital.







End of St. Vincent's Hospital