Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Alabama Theatre Built 1927



Marker ID:  
Location: on 3rd Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.906    W 086° 48.552
  33.5151    -86.8092
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Alabama Theatre
Built 1927


Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's president, Adolph Zukor, named it the "Showplace Of The South". The famous "Mighty Wurlitzer" pipe organ, with 21 sets of pipes, was played for many years by showman Stanleigh Malotte. The Alabama hosted many events including the Miss Alabama Pageant and the Mickey Mouse Club. Closed in 1981, the magnificent old theatre was saved from demolition in 1987 by countless volunteers, organized as Birmingham Landmarks, Inc. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated by the Alabama Legislature as the official State Historic Theatre. Over 500,000 annually visit the grand old theatre for movies, concerts, opera, ballet, weddings, graduations and private parties.

Erected 1998 by The Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society.







End of The Alabama Theatre Built 1927