Historic Markers Across Alabama



Title Building



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North and 3rd Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 31.026    W 086° 48.36
  33.5171    -86.806
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Designed by William C. Weston and erected in 1902, the Title Building was the second skyscraper built in Birmingham. It was the first building to supply its tenants with electric power with its own power-generating plant and the water supply was pumped from a well beneath the foundations.

In 1983 the investment partnership of John N. Lauriello, Neal L. Andrews, Jr. and David Cromwell Johnson rescued the Title Building from Bankruptcy proceedings. Certified in 1984 as a historic property in the Downtown Birmingham Historic District, the building's rehabilitation was carefully undertaken using the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Preservation, and it was restored as nearly as possible to its original appearance and finishing. In this project, completed in 1985, the investors were assisted by programs and incentives of the City of Birmingham and the federal government, coordinated through Operation New Birmingham.

The owners and restorers are proud of the Title Building and hope that its architectural quality and historic significance will be appreciated by all who pass by.







End of Title Building