Historic Markers Across Alabama



Walker Memorial Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Tuscaloosa Avenue SW and 3rd Street SW, Birmingham, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 30.132    W 086° 50.304
  33.5022    -86.8384
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker (1824-1908), a member, and dedicated May 14, 1944.

Erected 1948 by Birmingham Historical Society.







End of Walker Memorial Church