Historic Markers Across Alabama



Edgewood



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Oxmoor Road and Broadway Street, Homewood, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 28.416    W 086° 48.516
  33.4736    -86.8086
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCPGR
 



Text:

Nathan Byars, II settled here in 1836, followed by William D. Satterwhite in 1853, and Phillip Thomas Griffin and his wife Mary Ann Byars Griffin in 1854. These early settlers cleared land, built homes and farmed in what was a vast wooded wilderness.

By 1909 real estate developers Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton incorporated the Edgewood Highlands Land Company and purchased 1700 acres on which to build their dream. The development would include Edgewood Country Club, also known as the Birmingham Motor and Country Club (built in 1913 and demolished in the 1930's) and Edgewood Lake (completed in 1915 and drained in the 1940's). In order to make Edgewood accessible from Birmingham's prestigious South Highlands area, Smith and Brazelton built a streetcar line, the Birmingham - Edgewood Electric Railway in 1911. This involved the difficult engineering feat of cutting a road through Red Mountain's Lone Pine Gap, below present day Vulcan Park.

Edgewood's first mayor was Hartley T. Brownell and its best known business was Edgewood Drug Company owned by C. W. "Doc" Temerson, a Homewood City Councilman. Edgewood became part of the new city of Homewood in 1927.

Erected 2003 by City of Homewood, The Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society.







End of Edgewood