Historic Markers Across Alabama



Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club (Demolished 1930's)



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and University Park East, Homewood, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 27.66    W 086° 47.652
  33.461    -86.7942
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCP75
 



Text:

Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club
Edgewood Country Club

(Demolished 1930's)


The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. Similar to golf or tennis clubs, this was instead a driving club since the ownership of an automobile was the latest rage. A great race track, designed after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, was begun and graded but never completed. It's north and south straightaways are now today's Lakeshore and South Lakeshore Drives. The place became a favorite locale for dances, barbecues and meetings for as many as 25,000 people at a time. Ownership evolved from the Motor Club to Investors Syndicate of Minneapolis, Minnesota to Jefferson County to Samford University, and others. Initial annexing into Homewood began in 1959.

Erected 2003 by City of Homewood and the Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society







End of Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club (Demolished 1930's)