Historic Markers Across Alabama



Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd and Union Hill Drive, Homewood, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 28.938    W 086° 46.722
  33.4823    -86.7787
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCKA3
 



Text:

Union Hill Cemetery
Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church
Union Hill School


This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property to the east of the cemetery was the Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church building which was completed in 1874 on property donated by Pleasant H. Watkins. This church was founded in 1867 near the Irondale Furnace and moved to Union Hill in 1873. After extensive renovation to the church in 1928, the name changed to Canterbury Methodist Episcopal Church. Union Hill School opened in the church soon after its completion. The school closed on the opening of Shades Cahaba School. The church was torn down when Highway 280 was improved.

Erected by Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society.








End of Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School