Historic Markers Across Alabama



Patton Chapel Church 1866



Marker ID:  
Location: on Patton Chapel Road west of Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31), Hoover, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 23.465    W 086° 48.501
  33.39108333    -86.80835
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDAWK
 



Text:

Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area until 1924. Many early settlers are buried here and the site is still in use. As a city landmark and after several names changes, it is now Hoover First United Methodist Church.

Erected by Hoover Historical Society.







End of Patton Chapel Church 1866