Historic Markers Across Alabama

The Depot

Marker ID:  
Location: on Thornton Avenue, Leeds, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 32.634    W 086° 32.352
  33.5439    -86.5392
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None


The Depot was built by Richmond & Danville Extension Co. in 1883-84 following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific RR line between Birmingham and Atlanta, three years before the Town of Leeds was incorporated.

Richmond Terminal Co. operated Georgia - Pacific lines until 1888 when Richmond & Danville RR took over, succeeded by Southern Railway in 1894. Efforts to save the historic building were started in 1980 after Southern merged with Norfolk to become Norfolk-Southern RR. The restoration project was completed in 1984, 100 years following its construction.

In 1999 the City of Leeds renovated the baggage room, turning it into a public meeting room. Two museum rooms in the Depot feature railroad history, records and artifacts.

The Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and is listed in the Register of the Jefferson County Historical Commission and the Alabama Historical Commission's Register of Landmarks and Heritage.

End of The Depot