Historic Markers Across Alabama



Homewood



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of 29th Avenue South and 18th Street South, Homewood, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 28.826    W 086° 47.383
  33.48043333    -86.78971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDDQH
 



Text:

Beginning in the mid 19th century settlers first emigrated into a vast wooded wilderness now known as Homewood.

On February 11, 1927, the merger of Edgewood, Grove Park and Rosedale became the new City of Homewood. On October 14, 1929 Hollywood was annexed. November 14, 1955 Oak Grove and Drexel Hills came in. Later annexations included the Lakeshore area (1959-60), Edgemont, more of Oak Grove, West Valley Avenue and Wildwood (1950’s-1970’s).

The first mayor, known as “The Father of Homewood,” was Charles Rice. Homewood City Hall was completed January 5, 1928. The city now encompasses 9.5 square miles with a population of 25,045.







End of Homewood