Historic Markers Across Alabama



Civil War - Barnes School



Marker ID:  
Location: at the corner of Clayton and South Court Streets, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 22.260    W 086° 18.532
  33.371    -86.30886666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDDDE
 



Text:

In April 1865, the Union Army command made this house its headquarters. Mrs. Pickett hid her silver on an inside ledge of cupola. Later, former Confederate Generals Hood, Bragg, and Walker visited here. In 1906, Professor Elly Barnes bought the house for use as a private school for boys, which rapidly achieved fame for its quality. The Barnes School closed in 1942. In 1996, the house was rescued from demolition with the help of the Alabama Historical Commission and moved to its present location by the Montgomery County Historical Society.

Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation
Alabama Historical Association
1997







End of Civil War - Barnes School