Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shiloh Cemetery



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Ashville Road NE (US 411) just north of downtown Leeds, AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 32.997    W 086° 32.482
  33.54995    -86.54136666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD7VC
 



Text:

Shiloh Cemetery
Established Circa 1820


Shiloh Cemetery is the first recorded Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in middle Alabama. Burial at Shiloh began in 1820, a year before the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized in 1821 at Oakridge, now Leeds. The cemetery stood back from the public road which was the stagecoach route from Montevallo to Ashville. The church remained at the site for years on land owned by the State of Alabama and set aside for educational purposes. About 1878, the state sold the land, and the church, which had operated a church school, moved. The cemetery is maintained by the City of Leeds. Burials date as late as 2006. The oldest names affiliated with the founding of Leeds appear on the headstones. The first Sheriff of Shelby County is believed to be buried in an unmarked grave. Some of the first families in Counties Jefferson, St. Clair, and Shelby are among those buried at Shiloh.







End of Shiloh Cemetery