Historic Markers Across Alabama



Clay Methodist Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 6790 Old Springville Rd, Clay, AL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 42.169    W 086° 36.094
  33.70281666    -86.60156666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMY7ZW
 



Text:

Clay Methodist Cemetery
Jefferson County


Local Methodist connections for Clay Methodist Church were Cedar Mountain Church and Shiloh Methodist Church. Samuel, a Revolutionary War soldier, was a notable member of these early churches. Many of his descendants are buried here. James Self traded the Shiloh Church building for property to construct a new frame building and cemetery in 1881.The first cemetery plot was opened the same year. Decorated with different symbols and style all graves face a traditional east-west direction. Clay Methodist Church was built in 1924, and the church has served the community for many years. A fieldstone sign remains in front of the cemetery. Today another sanctuary is used for services. The cemetery is still active. Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Registry March 29, 2017.

Marker erected by Clay Historical Society and Clay United Methodist Church.







End of Clay Methodist Cemetery