Historic Markers Across Alabama



Birth of Sulligent



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: at the intersection of Al Route 17 and East Front St, Sulligent, AL
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 54.103    W 088° 8.056
  33.90171666    -88.13426666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
In April of 1886 railroad prospectors were traveling up the Butahatchie Valley in Lamar County, Alabama, Moscow beat, and securing right of way for a railroad to be built that would connect Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee. In November of 1886, resident engineer Thomas of the Kansas City Railroad made headquarters, taking care of railroad business, at G. Bankhead's popular old southern home. His home was situated about one half of a mile and overlooking the site of a future town on Colonel G.E. Brown's farm. In August of 1887 a depot was established on the Brown farm and Elliot was chosen as the name in honor of Major R.H. Elliott, general superintendent of construction at Bessemer, Alabama. In September of 1887 the first through train passed through Elliot with high officials of the railroad on board and Colonel G.E. Brown began to lay off property lots for the town. In September of 1887 the town's name of Elliot was changed to Sulligent in honor of Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Sargent, two railroad employees.

Side 2:
One of the main attractions of the town was an artesian well which was located on Front Street, near the depot and was pronounced as one of the best mineral waters in the south. Property lots in the embryo town were bought by: Rev. G.L. Hewitt, Samuel Loggain, Ogden & Son, Dr. R.J. Redden, R.F. Bankhead, W. Mirk Stone, Wesley Clearman, Murray Cobb and G.W. Rush and construction of the town began to get underway. In the beginning a train from Birmingham, Alabama passed and stopped at 11:00 a.m. each day and a train from Memphis, Tennessee arrived and stopped at 4:30 p.m. each day, thus becoming the lifeline of the town. Cotton was hauled to Sulligent, bougth by merchants and shipped by rail. In January of 1888 the name of the Sulligent depot and town changed back to the first name of Elliot by railroad officials. In February of 1888 the name changed back to Sulligent again. Sulligent citizens voted to become incorporated in October 1889. Alex Wall was chosen as mayor in November 1889.








End of Birth of Sulligent