Historic Markers Across Alabama



Andrew Jackson's Military Road



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of County Route 47 and Cox Creek Parkway on County Route 47, Florence Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 50.612    W 087° 38.787
  34.84353333    -87.64645
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ9HB
 



Text:

Andrew Jackson's Military Road
-1817-


Construction of this road, as ordered by General Andrew Jackson, began in May 1817 by troops of the U.S. Army for national defense purposes. Beginning near Nashville, Tennessee and continuing to Madison, Louisiana, it shortened the distance from Nashville to New Orleans by 200 miles. This road followed early Native American trails that were uses by Jackson's Army during the War of 1812. The military road served as a major transportation route for early settlers of North Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Old Southwest Territory.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of Andrew Jackson's Military Road