Historic Markers Across Alabama



Church Spring and School



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of W. Spring Street and S. Pine Street on W. Spring Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 47.735    W 087° 40.439
  34.79558333    -87.67398333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Church Spring and School
(Circa 1840-1895)


About 1849, African-Americans began holding religious services in a brick cow shed overlooking the town spring near the site. It was purchased in 1857 by the local Methodists for this congregation, with Robin Lightfoot, a slave as its pastor. In 1879, it was organized as St. Paul's African-American Methodist Episcopal Church. Children of slaves and freemen were taught here in early years. In 1866, the Freedmen's Bureau established a school for the children of African-Americans, probably at this location.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.







End of Church Spring and School