Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Florence



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of East Mobile Street and North Court Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.074    W 087° 40.575
  34.80123333    -87.67625
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHGEA
 



Text:

Florence was surveyed for the Cypress Land Company in 1818 by Ferdinand Sannoner and named for the famous capital of Tuscany. The county seat of Lauderdale County, it was first incorporated in 1826. Located at the foot of Muscle Shoals, it became a thriving agricultural and commercial center with light industry and significant religious, educational, and medical institutions. During the Civil War, Florence was occupied by both armies at various times. The Tennessee Valley Authority with Wilson and Wheeler Dams contributed to further economic development.

Erected by Florence Historical Board, Florence, Alabama.




Notes:

More information:

Wikipedia: Florence, Alabama


Wikipedia: Tennessee Valley Authority


Wikipedia: Wheeler Dam


Wikipedia: Wilson Dam



End of City of Florence