Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Michael's Catholic Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on Church Road (County Road 30) west of Old Jackson Highway (County Road 61), St Florian, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 52.486    W 087° 37.567
  34.87476666    -87.62611666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ9G3
 



Text:

In 1872, Catholics of German ancestry settled on the former Wilson Plantation and established the town of St. Florian. St. Michael's Church was built south of the road, moved to the present site in 1878, and replaced the present building in 1916. The stained-glass windows, ordered from Munich, Bavaria, weren't installed until the 1920's. The rectory was built in 1872, burned and was rebuilt in 1934. The first pastor, Fr. Michael Merz, a German priest, died in 1876. He was replaced by Fr. Gabriel Guester, O.S.B. from Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Benedictine priest have served the parish since that time.

Erected by Florence Historical Board.







End of St. Michael's Catholic Church