Historic Markers Across Alabama



Waterloo - Settled 1819~Incorporated 1832



Marker ID:  
Location: at Entrance of Waterloo on Hwy 14, Waterloo, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 54.9    W 088° 3.516
  34.915    -88.0586
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Waterloo
Settled 1819~Incorporated 1832


One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river ports during the steamboat ear. In low~ water season after large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati and other places downriver unloaded here: smaller craft transported goods and passengers upriver to Florence at the foot of the Muscle Shoals. Following a disastrous flood in 1847, the town was moved from its location on the riverbank, now under Pickwick Lake, to present higher ground. Union gunboats shelled it July 1862. Gen. William T. Sherman crossed the river here, November 1863, and made temporary headquarters in Dr. O.B. Sullivan's home.

Erected by Donated by E.L. Culvert.







End of Waterloo - Settled 1819~Incorporated 1832