Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wilson's Headquarters and Camp - Gravelly Springs, Alabama



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of County Route 14 and County Route 2, Waterloo, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 53.072    W 087° 54.258
  34.88453333    -87.9043
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

At this site from mid-January to mid-March 1865, Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the largest cavalry force ever massed in the western hemisphere. Five divisions totaling 22,000 camped from Gravelly Springs westward to Waterloo. Wilson made headquarters a mile east of the springs at Wildwood plantation, the boyhood home of Alabama senator and governor, George Houston. After intensive training Wilson's Cavalry crossed the Tennessee to invade South Alabama and Georgia, a campaign which included burning the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa and the capture of Pres. Jefferson Davis at Irwinville, Georgia, in May 1865, after Lee's surrender. Donated by C. L. Culver

Erected by Florence Historic Board of Florence Alabama.







End of Wilson's Headquarters and Camp - Gravelly Springs, Alabama