Historic Markers Across Alabama



Colonel Pickett Place 1833



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Hermitage Drive and North Court Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.205    W 087° 40.661
  34.80341666    -87.67768333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHGVJ
 



Text:

This "double-pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National hotel in Florence, as a wedding gift for his bride, Elizabeth Hooks of Tennessee. It later became the home or Richard Oric Pickett, who arrived in 1843 to become one of the town's leading attorneys. Pickett was Colonel of the 10th Alabama Infantry under General Philip Roddey, called "Defender of North Alabama" during the Civil War.

Erected by Florence Historic Board Florence Alabama.







End of Colonel Pickett Place 1833