Historic Markers Across Alabama



Courtview, Rogers Hall 1855



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of East Ervine Avenue and North Court Street, Florence, Alabama
County: Lauderdale
Coordinates: N 34° 48.323    W 087° 40.762
  34.80538333    -87.67936666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHG34
 



Text:

George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald and her family, lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O'Neal. In 1922 it was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers Sr., and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama.

Listed Historic American Buildings Survey National Resister of Historic Places.

Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.




Notes:

Wikipedia: Rogers Hall, also known as Courtview and Alumni House

Wikipedia: University of North Alabama (UNA)



End of Courtview, Rogers Hall 1855